The Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO is a great set of headphones coming all the way from Germany. In fact, Germany stands at the summit as Europe’s largest music market and third largest in the entire world.
With exceptional build quality, the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO offers immaculate resolution and genuine soundstage allowing the listener to perceive the depth and width of sound received from the drivers.
The headphone is perfect for audiophiles looking for music of all genres, more so when they want tight bass and great highs.
Beyerdynamic has been at the forefront of sound reproduction and audio recording since 1924. It has several firsts to its credit – the first dynamic headphones DT 48 in the year 1937 and the first studio-grade dynamic microphone M 19 in the year 1939.
The 1990 PRO comes with Tesla drivers which use cutting edge system technology for their construction. The uniqueness of Tesla drivers is in the magnetic driver which is powerful and provides reproduction with high fidelity and minimal harmonic distortion.
- Open studio reference class headphones for mixing and mastering, Made in Germany
- 250 ohms, 45 mm dynamic Tesla neodymium drivers
- Single sided, detachable cable with mini-XLR connectors
Who is this product for?
The Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO is ideal for studio and professional settings work when making crucial decisions on mastering and mixing. Its neutral stance allows the most balanced sound close to perfection.
The capacity for detail is tremendous as even sound created by an uncharacteristic non-musical move by any musician gets captured.
The 1990 PRO is ideal for professionals, whether freelancers or working for others, who need to wear headphones for long periods of time.
These headphones make their time working more enjoyable and less strenuous. Broadcasters, music producers and sound technicians use the 1990 PRO extensively.
Besides the professional uses, the 1990 PRO serves to enhance listening pleasure when music lovers want to enjoy their favorite music as it reproduces music with high definition.
At the price range (Check it out here), it is worth every dollar for the professional. For the amateur who can afford it, there is nothing better than the 1990 PRO to enhance listening pleasure to reach the surreal and ethereal.
For more information, check out why open back headphones sound better.
The 1990 PRO comes complete with Tesla neodymium driver, single-sided detachable cable with mini-XLR connector and replaceable ear pads and headband. The unit provides free accessories that include
- Two pairs of velour ear pads – balanced (EDT 1990 B) and analytical (EDT 1990 A) sound characteristics
- Two pairs of cables – 3 m straight and 5 m coiled
- Premium hard case with appropriate cutouts and attached inside the pouch
The headphones don’t use batteries. They just plug in and good to go. The unit needs no further accessories.
Overview of features
The Tesla driver technology is highly efficient when it comes to precision and power so much required when reproducing sound. The resolution is highly accurate and power output very high.
The highs are sparkling, the midrange detailed and bass precise. These combine brilliantly to produce a sound of the highest quality.
The open-back design allows for achieving the natural and spatial sound. This ability makes the 1990 PRO ideal as a reference for mastering and mixing applications. The same feature comes in handy when listening to music critically.
Complementing the open-back design, the Tesla driver possesses high-resolution capability which imparts natural stereo that is both dynamic and wide. The titanium coating fabric helps to balance sound quality.
The 1990 PRO operates with the nominal frequency between 5 and 40,000 Hz.
The quality of the reproduction is dependent on the ear pad used. In the analytical ear pad, the audio is closed while it is deeper in the balanced pad. The stereo separation is strong in both the pads. The resolution is awesome with each instrument resolved clearly and well separated.
The 1990 PRO carries the Beyerdynamic trademark of higher treble energy. Its lower treble and upper midrange analytical character carry on even at higher frequencies.
The bass quality is exceptional being punchy and evenly distributed without bleeding into the midrange.
If at all there is any weakness it is in the midrange. While male voices are realistic, female voices show more detail due to vocal recognition.
Since isolation is difficult in open headphones, the 1990 PRO is avoidable as a portable device, especially on train or bus rides. The headphone is not leak proof in respect of others nearby hearing sounds when someone is using the headphone.
While using the headphone without an amp is possible allowing for pleasing sound, the 1990 PRO would benefit more from an amp as control would become easy to highlight all the strengths.
Handcrafted in Germany, the 1990 PRO displays the highest level of craftsmanship using the best quality of durable materials such as aluminum for end pieces, high-tech textiles for ear pads, gold-plated connectors for stereo jack and lighter materials to enhance comfort.
The 3 m straight cable and the 5 m coiled cable can connect easily with a 3-pin mini XLR single-sided connector.
The 1990 PRO comes with a perfectly curved, padded and adjustable headband. Its earpads enable functionality and comfort through the soft foam for the insides.
They support long working sessions on account of their construction with sufficient depth and width for matchless sound reproduction. They avoid stuffiness due to vents provided.
1. These DT1990s have this fantastic ability to pull apart each track into the individual instruments, especially in rock music. It won’t be let down even if one pays more for the performance they are getting.
2. These are excellent headphones. It gives a great and clear picture of the sound. There are no questions here, the build is fantastic
1. Ear pads are hard to swap
2. Pretty much requires an amp
3. Large and bulky, not for portable use
4. There seems to some problem in aligning the left and right ear cups and a simple solution is needed to resolve this.
How to get the most out of it
To get the best out of the 1990 PRO follow faithfully the instructions provided which include safety instructions as well
- Connect the cable with the lockable 3-pin mini XLR cable connector
- Ensure cable connector locks perfectly.
- To unlock, press the small release button and pull the cable out gently
- Keep ear pads and headband clean and tidy
- Use a damp cloth to clean
- Ensure dryness of pads after cleaning before reuse on the headphone
- Work with low volume to avoid damage to ears especially when working long hours. Use high volume for short periods only
- Recommended usage – from 85 dB SPL for 8-hour working stretch to 100 dB SPL for 15-minute working stretch
- Connect headphone only when the volume is at minimum
- Adjust only after putting on the headphone
- Avoid jerky movements to prevent damage to ears and spectacles. Handle cable carefully to avoid accidental strangulation
- Use hard case to store headphone when not in use or while traveling
It is rewarding to follow the instructions given in the manual to enjoy a beautiful experience with the headphone. It also helps to get the best performance from the
While the 1990 PRO is of recent origin, it has no peers especially for professionals as it offers some remarkable features. However, the Sennheiser Audiophile Headphone HD 660 S is an excellent alternative giving its own special features at a lesser price.
- Specially designed acoustic silk ensures precision damping over the entire frequency range and helps to reduce THD to an incredible 0.05 percent
- Improved frequency response is 10 39,500 Hertz ( 10 dB)
- Hand selected matched driver elements; Highly optimized magnet systems for minimum harmonic and inter modulation distortion
- High-end Bluetooth headphones with innovative sound personalization. Operating range up to 10 meter
- High-end Bluetooth headphones with optimum sound quality thanks to Tesla technology and top-class Bluetooth transmission (Qualcomm aptX HD undo AAC)
- Adapts acoustically to the user's hearing thanks to integrated sound personalization and thus delivers perfect sound, no matter which device
For a more budget alternative to the 1990 pro, we highly recommend the Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro. Check out our review for the Beyerdynamic Dt770 Pro here.
For casual listeners intending to enjoy their favorite music, the lower priced models would serve the purpose well.
The Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO headphones are the best on the market for professionals working on audio projects requiring a professional touch.
Since the professionals spend long hours mixing and mastering sounds, they need a set of headphones that are comfortable to work with besides providing the necessary specifications for their professional work. The headphones are also excellent for listening to music while relaxing.
Last update on 2021-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API