You’ve been wanting to get into podcasting for ages, and have finally splashed out on that dream microphone. But it can be really awkward trying to lean over your desk to speak into the microphone.
To make your podcasting experience more comfortable, you will need something to hold the microphone up to your face so that you won’t do your back in.
I know it can be a challenge to find the right boom arm for your particular microphone, too. Should you splash out hundreds of dollars on a more expensive stand? Or will one of the cheaper boom arms be worth it? How can you find the best boom arm for your preferred microphone?
I wanted to make the process even easier for you. So I’ve researched and reviewed the best microphone stands on the market so you can find the best boom arm for your needs.
These boom arms should be able to fit the majority of microphones, so you won’t have to worry about wasting your money. Let’s take a look at the best boom arms!
The InnoGear adjustable boom arm stand MU01 is the perfect example that you don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on a microphone stand.
This particular stand comes with a range of great features to make sure that it fits a variety of microphones, including Blue Yeti Snowball, Yeti Nano, Yeti X, as well as many more. The InnoGear boom arm is the perfect budget friendly alternative that will allow you to record your finest work yet.
This particular boom arm features a foldable arm band. This makes it adjustable, and you can easily fold it up when you’ve finished using it. This foldability makes it easier to bring with you if you want to do recording on the go.
You can use the foldable arm to find the perfect angle for recording, so you won’t have to bend over or strain to reach the microphone. Ensure that you loosen the rotating knob first as you may damage the screw threads if you force it.
Another great feature of this boom arm is that it comes with an upgraded desk mount. Compared to older InnoGear models, the MU01 includes a zinc alloy desk mount.
This includes an anti-scratch pad so it won’t damage your desk when you attach it. There’s also a much wider mouth, which gives you up to 2 inches. This means the InnoGear MU01 boom arm should fit the majority of desks.
The InnoGear boom arm comes with a ⅝ inch 27 male to ⅜ inch 16 female screw adapter. This should help you to attach your Blue Yeti microphone to the boom arm. The diameter of the microphone clip is 1.10 inches.
Another great feature of this particular boom arm is that it comes in both medium and large sizes.
- Versatile – can be used with a variety of microphones, including Blue Yeti models
- Foldable arm band – makes it easier to find the most comfortable recording angle
- Upgraded desk mount – features a 2 inch wide mouth and anti-scratch pad
- Stand only – you will need to purchase additional accessories such as the pop filter
- Foldable Arm Band: The adjustable microphone arm can be folded up and easy for you to carry around. This feature enables to adjust the suitable angle and height to show your perfect voice. Before adjusting the angle of the microphone arm stand make sure to loosen the knob first. Avoid rotating it by force as it can damage the screw threads.
- Upgraded Desk Mount: In comparison to the old versions, this zinc alloy desk mount is built with anti-scratch pad and wider mouth up to 2" to fit most desktop.
- The 5/8"-27 male to 3/8"-16 female screw adapter which included in the package fits for blue snowball.The Diameter of Microphone Clip is 1.10". Suitable for any stores, families, stage, studios, broadcasting and TV stations, etc.
The TONOR T20 adjustable boom arm stand is an excellent choice if you want to spend a little bit more on your microphone stand. It should still be affordable, but means you’re not having to go with one of the cheaper stands on the market.
Great if you’re worried about having to replace a cheap stand in a few months’ time. This TONOR T20 stand features a sturdy construction that will last you for many years to come.
What’s really great about the TONOR T20 boom arm is that it features a heavy duty construction. It has been made using durable steel to give it an impressive weight capacity.
This boom arm can support up to 4 pounds, which should give you more than enough support for your microphone and additional accessories such as a pop filter.
Another interesting feature of the T20 is that it features an upgraded design from TONOR’s previous models. There is an improved contact area of up to 4 times larger.
You’ll be able to easily attach the T20 to a desk up to 2.4 inches thick, giving you more versatility in terms of where you can use it. Interestingly, the desk clamp also comes with a headset hook for you to place your headphones once you’ve finished using them.
You won’t have to worry about whether the TONOR T20 is suitable for use with your particular microphone. It features universal compatibility and comes with a standard ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch adapter to work with different microphones and shock mounts.
There is also a mic clip included, as well as a pop filter, foam cover, and 4 cable ties.
- Heavy duty – comes with an impressive weight capacity of up to 4 pounds
- Upgraded desk clamp – can fit desks up to 2.4 inches thick
- Universal compatibility – comes with a ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch adapter to use with different microphones
- Flat desk – needs a flat desk as a base and won’t work for curvy desks
- Heavy Duty Construction: The T20 is made of durable steel for outstanding bearing capacity. Max load: 4lbs/1.8kg.
- Upgraded Desk Clamp: The desk clamp has 4 times larger contact area for easily clip to any desk up to 2.4''/60mm thick. In addition, the headset hook is integrated into the desk clamp.
- Universal Compatibility: The T20 comes with a standard 3/8" to 5/8" adapter for different shock mounts and microphones. (Note: The microphone and shock mount are not included.)
Reluctant to spend a ton of money on all the kit you need for podcasting? Then the InnoGear boom arm kit MU059 will be perfect for you. This particular boom arm comes with a range of accessories to save you from having to buy everything individually.
You’ll get a boom arm, a mounting desk clamp, a ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch metal screw adapter, a pop filter, cable ties, and a shock mount.
This particular boom arm features a heavy duty structure to ensure it lasts you for many years to come. There is an extra strong spring to prevent the microphone from dropping and becoming damaged.
This spring will also work to stop any shaking or noise generation while you’re recording so that you get a clearer sound.
A shock mount is included with the boom arm to fit a variety of microphones. This works to protect your microphone from damage. The shock mount features an all-around design with high rubber rope to prevent the microphone from falling when you’re recording.
The diameter of the shock mount is 52mm. It’s also worth noting that the shock mount that comes included in this package isn’t suitable for Blue Yeti microphones, so you will need to choose a different shock mount if you prefer these mics.
Another interesting feature of the InnoGear MU059 is that it comes with a double screen pop filter. This will work to block any air blasts, as well as disperse any remaining air pressure.
This should give you an even clearer recording as it will be more effective than single layered pop filters.
- Complete kit – comes with everything you need except for the microphone
- Sturdy structure – uses an extra strong spring to protect your microphone
- Double screen pop filter – gives you a clearer recording than a single layered pop filter
- Anti-shock holder – can take some adjusting for certain microphones
- Shock Mount: Please noted the shock mount is not fit for Blue Yeti.It is made of high-quality material and can protect the microphone all-around with high rubber rope design which makes the microphone more convenient to install and prevent it from falling. The shock mount has a hole diameter of 52mm, which is slightly larger than others.
- Heavy-duty Structure Mic Stand: The extra strong spring prevents the microphone from accidental dropping, noise generation and shaking. It has a table mounting clamp and protective layers of sponge. An adjustable positioning screw can easily clip to any desktop with a thickness of 2".
- Double Screen Pop Filters: The first screen blocks air blasts as any pop filter normally would. The gap in between then disperses any remaining air pressure, so by the time it passes the second screen, the blast is easily contained.
The Luling Arts boom arm stand is a professional quality microphone stand but at half the price. This particular boom stand comes with a shock mount included, too, which will help save you more money in the process. There’s also a pop filter included, as well as a screw adapter, and desk clamp.
So you’ll get everything you need to get started with recording your podcast without having to spend a small fortune!
What’s really great about the Luling Arts boom arm is that it’s suitable for use with a variety of microphones. It can even be made to fit the Blue Yeti microphones by using the ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch screw adapter.
There’s also a universal mic clip included so that you can use your preferred microphone model. It’s also worth noting that the included shock mount isn’t suitable for use with Blue Yeti microphones, so you would need to use a different shock mount if you prefer Blue Yetis.
This particular boom arm comes with a sturdy stand to ensure that you can properly attach it to your desk. This gives you an impressive 2.16 inch wide mouth to use on a variety of desks. Ideal if you want to find the most comfortable working area around your home or office!
There’s also an anti-scratch pad to prevent you from marking your desk. The boom arm can support up to 4.4 pounds.
You won’t have to worry about buying an extra pop filter for your new boom arm and microphone combination. This particular model comes with a double screen pop filter.
This works to block any air blasts just like a single screen filter, and it also disperses any air pressure. This will give you clearer vocals during your recording sessions.
- Recording kit – comes with a range of additional accessories as well as the boom arm
- Screw adapter – includes a ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch adapter for use with Blue Yeti microphones
- Versatile desk clamp – suitable for use with desks up to 2.16 inches thick
- Adapter – need to use the included small metal adaptor to fit Blue Yeti microphones
- Professional Adjustable Microphone Stand:Professional Recording Studio Equipment with adjustable microphone stand, Adjustable Shock Mount, double layer Pop Filter , Screw adapter, microphone shock mount, Table mounting clamp with sponge pad. The diameter of ABS plastic microphone shock mount is 1.77''/4.5 cm,it can be changed by adjusting the O-rings of shock mount,compatible various mic.Max diameter:2.05''/5.2 cm.
- Strong Compatibility and Applicability microphone arm: Luling Arts mic arm could compatible with the Blue Yeti, Snowball or mount most standard-sized microphones. 3/8'' to 5/8''Screw adapter are line with industry standards. Adjustable shock mount and universal mic clip also provide more possibilities.Max Support Weight is 70 oz/2 kg (4.4 pound).
- Upgraded table mounting clamp:Designed for heavy duty carry and compared with old versions,all zinc alloy construction desk mount is built with anti-scratch pad and wider mouth up to 2.16"（The product is 6 cm） to fit most desktop can carry heavy microphone for a long time.
Last up on my list is the Magicfun boom arm stand. This is another great affordable option that will give you a fantastic quality boom arm without having to spend a ton of money.
This particular boom arm features a sturdy construction to give your mic the extra support it needs. It will be able to firmly hold your microphone in place as well as reduce vibrations and other noises. The desk clamp is suitable for use with desks up to 2.1 inches thick.
Another great feature of the Magicfun boom arm is that it comes with a range of additional accessories for you to use. So you won’t have to buy much else apart from your preferred microphone!
Included with this boom arm are a desk clamp, shock mount, mic clip, double screen pop filter, mic cap, 5 cable ties, a metal screw, and a phone holder.
The double screen pop filter works to give you a clearer sound when you’re recording. It also features a gooseneck, making it easy to maneuver as you need to. This will make it much more useful than static pop filters which can’t be adjusted to fit your microphone.
What’s really great about the shock mount included with this boom arm is that it can be adjusted to suit different microphones. Simply adjust the O-rings to fit your preferred choice of microphone.
The maximum diameter of the shock mount is 2.05 inches, which should give you more than enough room for the majority of mics.
- Additional accessories – comes with a range of additional accessories for ease
- Sturdy – features a durable construction to give your microphone the support it needs
- Metal adapter – includes ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch adapter for more versatility
- Shock mount – may not fit your preferred microphone depending on the model you have
Trying to find the best boom arm for your needs can be tricky. You may be reluctant to spend a small fortune on a microphone stand that costs an arm and a leg. Though there will be nothing worse than ordering your new boom arm only to find it doesn’t fit your preferred microphone model!
I’ve put together this useful buyer’s guide to help you find the best boom arm for your needs. As long as you make sure your chosen boom arm follows the below criteria, you’ll be able to rest easy, knowing it will be perfect for you.
So let’s take a look at everything you will need to consider before you buy your new boom arm. Or you can skip ahead to the frequently asked questions!
One of the key factors for you to consider is choosing a boom arm that is adjustable. The folding arm should be easy to adjust for your needs, so you’re not having to sit at awkward angles to use it.
You should be able to easily adjust the height of the boom arm so that you can sit comfortably in your chair.
A boom arm that comes with a folding design will also be easier to pack away when you’ve finished using it. This will also mean it takes up less space in storage.
Fits your microphone
You will of course need to ensure that your new boom arm fits your preferred microphone. There’s no point investing in the best boom arm that money can buy if it doesn’t fit your mic! Take a look at the fixtures of your boom arm. Is it suitable for use with your particular microphone?
Several Blue Yeti microphone designs require a slightly different screw to attach them to the boom arm. I’ve made sure to pick a variety of boom arms that come with the ⅜ inch to ⅝ inch adapter that you’ll need to secure the Blue Yeti mic to them.
Some models may even require thread tape to help secure them to the boom arm depending on your preferred Blue Yeti microphone.
Choosing a boom arm that comes with a sturdy construction will be essential. You will want to ensure that it’s capable of supporting your microphone, and won’t allow it to drop or become damaged. Take a look at the weight capacity of your preferred boom arm.
Can this safely hold your microphone as well as additional accessories such as the pop filter and shock mount?
A boom arm with a strong clamp will also be an essential factor for you to consider. I’m sure you wouldn’t want your microphone to get damaged when the boom arm falls off your desk because the clamp wasn’t up to standard!
I’d suggest taking a look at the mouth of the clamp itself. Does it give you enough room to accommodate your desk? Will it sit comfortably on the edge of your desk and not wobble?
Ensure that it gives you a wide enough mouth so that you can fit it onto your desk properly. It will also be worth looking for a clamp that comes with an anti-scratch pad so that it doesn’t mark your desk.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best boom mic arm?
The best boom mic arms are:
- InnoGear Adjustable Boom Arm Stand MU01
- TONOR Adjustable Boom Arm Stand
- InnoGear Boom Arm Kit MU059
- Luling Arts Boom Arm Stand
- Magicfun Boom Arm Stand
Are cheap boom arms good?
You’d be surprised by the quality of some of the cheaper boom arms. There’s no need to spend a small fortune on a boom arm that can only fit a handful of microphones! I’ve picked a handful of boom arms to suit any budget.
As long as a cheaper boom arm is able to fulfill your needs, it will be perfectly good for recording.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API