Noise pollution very often finds its way into our homes in the form of electronic noise, people talking, dogs working, and a host of other sounds. You can reduce noise through simple measures such as choosing suitable rugs. But what kind of rugs are best for soundproofing?
Thick, cut-pile rugs are best for soundproofing. Wool and jute rugs are better at absorbing sound compared to other materials as they’re thicker. You should also look for carpets made with felt or soft, fluffy materials.
This article explores the types of rugs best for soundproofing. It also considers other ways to soundproof your room, including using felt mats, draperies, and stuffed furniture.
Which Rug Will Help With Soundproofing?
Cut-pile rugs will help with soundproofing. They’re best at absorbing sound as they offer more surface area to pick up sound. Rugs made from wool, jute, fur, and felt will also capture sound. More oversized rugs will cover more surface area, allowing them to absorb more sound.
Selecting the right rug for sound absorption helps to understand the science behind it.
How Do Rugs Absorb Sound?
Rugs can absorb sound because they have plenty of fibers and an open-cut weave. Each fiber absorbs sound, so the more fibers a rug has, the more sound-absorbent it’ll be.
Additionally, rugs provide an extra layer between a bare floor and a room, adding more barriers for the sound to travel through.
For more information, check out the best flooring for home recording studios.
What Are the Best Rugs for Absorbing Sound?
Some of the best rugs for absorbing sound are the Koeckritz Cut Pile Indoor Rug, the nuLOOM Rigo Hand Woven Jute Rug, the Lochas Luxury Velvet Shag Rug, and the Safavieh Hudson Shag Rug.
We’ll talk more about these rugs in detail below. These rugs are all available to order online from Amazon.com.
The Koeckritz indoor rug is a thick cut pile rug that you can place in different areas to add comfort and reduce sound. Here are some of the pros of this rug:
- Budget-friendly option.
- Comes with a bound edge, making it more durable.
- Features a stain protection coating, making it easier to clean.
- The manufacturer offers custom cutting, so you can select the direction of rugs.
- Made of a Polyester Filament Fiber and has a Face Weight of 25.5 oz – Pile Height of 1/2?…Made in the U.S.A
- Great for any childs playroom or bedroom
- Manufactured with a Action Back backing.
This jute rug is excellent for absorbing sound and adds a warm touch to any room. Here are some of the stand-out features of this rug:
- Made with natural, renewable materials that are non-toxic.
- Comes in a wide variety of sizes and shapes; you can choose a round, rectangular, oval, or square rug.
- Not as thick as other sound-reduction rugs, so it doesn’t add extra weight or warmth to a room.
It’s essential to vacuum this rug regularly to keep it clean, but putting it in a vacuum machine can damage its fibers.
- 100% Jute, made in India
- Handcrafted with love and care of renewable fibers, each piece is marked by subtle but individual differences that make your rug unique
- The perfect combination of style and durability, our jute rugs bring home effortless sophistication––perfect for your living room, dining room, kitchen, or hallway
The Lucas Luxury Shag Rug is a thick, cut pile rug available in various colors. Because it is made of thousands of fibers, it is excellent at absorbing various types of sound. Here are the pros of this rug:
- Comes with non-slip dots that allow it to adhere to a range of surfaces.
- Made with synthetic materials which stop it from shedding.
- Easy to clean and lift stains.
- Extra Soft Area Rug: The area rug is incredibly soft and features a top layer of fluffy material with sponge interlayer, which is softer and more luxurious underfoot; Its comfy fabric is very family-friendly and ideal for bedroom, living room
- Large Size and Modern Design: Our generously sized rug is 5 feet x 8 feet and provides excellent touch feeling; Each rug prints with a morocco pattern in modern design, to create a peaceful atmosphere for your master bedroom, home office, or dining room
- Thousands of Non Slip Dots: Our fluffy carpet is back with thousands of non slip grip dots that help hold in place on wooden or other floor, and hold up even with kids and pets; This fluffy carpet is a great decor for the kids bedroom, nursery and dorm
This is a plush, versatile rug that will suit a variety of rooms. Here are the stand-out features of the Safavieh Hudson Shag Rug:
- Features 2-inch (5 cm) pile fibers that can capture and stop sound.
- You can select from a range of different designs to suit your home’s decor.
- The manufacturer offers virtual consulting, which will help you choose the style of rug that best suits you.
- [NON-SHEDDING]: Expertly machine-woven from enhanced soft synthetic durable fibers that have a virtually non-shedding pile for ultimate convenience
- [PLUSH & COZY]: Features a 2-inch thick pile height for just the right amount of cozy cushioned softness underfoot
- [TRENDY STYLE]: Trellis design beautifully enhances any room of the home, from the living room, dining room, bedroom, entryway, nursery, kid's room, playroom, dorm room, study, or home office
For more information, check out the best rugs for recording studios.
Other Ways You Can Soundproof Your Room
If you don’t want to swap out your current rugs, you can make them more effective at soundproofing by placing a rug mat under your rug to absorb sound.
You can also use overstuffed furniture or draperies to reduce sound. You may also try using spray foam to fill gaps sound is moving through.
Use Rug Pads
Rug pads are placed under rugs and provide an extra layer of sound absorption. The best rug pads for sound reduction are thick pads made from memory foam.
You can also find rug pads made with eco-friendly materials that are excellent for sound absorption.
There are several other reasons you should consider installing a rug pad:
- They add weight to your rugs, making them more comfortable to walk on.
- They prevent rugs from slipping.
- They can act as an extra layer of protection for your floors.
The best rug pads from Amazon.com for sound absorption are:
- Gorilla Grip Extra Plush Felt. This plush felt mat is designed to reduce sound. It’s compatible with a range of different rug sizes and shapes.
- Thick and Durable: ultra thick condensed needle punch felt for increased durability and cushion; dense fibers help to reduce noise and everyday sounds from reaching your room while providing your hard floors with an added layer of protection
- Natural Rubber Backing: textured rubber on underside is ultra durable and helps to keep rug in place
- Incredibly Plush: add more cushion to every step; make even the thinnest rugs feel extra comfortable and plush
- Puroma Non-Slip Area Rug Pad. This is a budget-friendly rug pad built to both protect floors and absorb sound.
- Anti-slip Protection: Puroma rug pads can keep your rugs in place, preventing accidental tripping hazards caused by carpet moving when you are walking or children are playing. Please place the carpet pad on a flat, clean, and dry floor.
- Floor Protection: Ultra-thick cushion provides an important protective layer against the surface of the wooden floor, avoids scratches caused by high heels and sharp objects, preventing daily wear and tear of the carpet, and reducing noise.
- Thick and Durable: Puroma non-adhesive rug pads are made of premium materials, which are durable and can extend the life of the carpet. Our pads can provide extra cushioning for the carpet and improving your home comfort.
Use Bean Bag Chairs or Overstuffed Furniture
If your rug doesn’t trap the noise, the furniture can act as the next barrier to sound. Couches and chairs which are stuffed with soft materials like foam and batting will absorb sound well. You may even place bean bags in areas in the room where sound is most likely to travel.
Draperies or heavy curtains placed at windows can stop noise from traveling upwards. They’re made from heavy materials like velvet, satin, and polyester. These curtains will also reduce the number of echoes and noise within a room.
However, it’s important to remember that it may also add more heat to a room when a curtain is heavier.
Here are some of the best curtains to reduce and absorb sound from Amazon.com:
These curtain panels are made with heavy polyester. Their weight and shape make them highly effective at absorbing sound.
Here are the pros of the Nicetown curtain panels:
- You can hang them in different styles using different curtain hooks.
- They’re machine-washable and are easy to maintain.
- They have triple weave technology, which offers 90% blackout.
- READY-MADE: Set includes 2 curtain panels, each panel measuring 52" wide x 84" length with 7 back loops. Quality fabric without liner feels soft and heavy. Thread trimmed and wrinkle-free, both sides are the same color.
- SERVE WELL: Impedes 90% of light and UV rays (Dark color curtains work better). Due to the innovative triple weave technology, Perfect drapery option for anyone seeking to block daylight, take a nap or keep sun glare off your TV.
- ENERGY SMART: Triple weave fabric balances room temperature by insulating against summer heat and winter chill. Protect your furniture, floors, and artwork from the ravages of the sun, the drapes will pay for themselves off over time.
Made with polyester, these pocket-friendly blackout curtains block out noise, sound, and UV rays. Here’s what you should know about these curtains:
- Easy to install, easy to maintain, and machine-washable.
- Triple weave fibers, which add to their blocking effectiveness.
- Available in a range of colors and sizes.
- Package Includes: Sold as 2 panels, measures 42” wide X 63” long each. Total 84” x 63”.
- Grommet Top Design: RUTTERLLOW grommet blackout curtains have 6 shiny grommets, 1.6” inner diameter each, fit standard size curtains rod, look great when you hung on coordinating metal rod.
- Functions: RUTTERLLOW blackout curtains can block out 80-95% sunlight due to different colors (Dark color works better than light color). As a barrier, our blackout curtains’ quality is heavy enough to insulate your home against outside thermal energy in summer. On the contrary, keeps outside cold away from your warm house. Also, our curtains can reduce the noise from outside to provide you a better environment to work or sleep.
If you want sound-absorbing curtains but are looking for natural materials, try these linen blackout curtains. Here are the stand-out features of these draperies:
- Designed to reduce noise, light and block out UV rays.
- Effective at keeping warm air in a room during winters and out of a room during summers.
- Available in various colors and lengths, letting you match them to your room’s decor.
- STANDARD SIZE: Sold per single panel in package, panel measures 52 inches wide by 96 inches long, each faux linen curtain panel has 8 gorgeous copper metal grommets, inner rim of grommet is 1 5/8 inch which fit the rod up to 1 1/2 inch, slides smoothly back and forth
- LIGHT BLOCKING: This elegant window panel is crafted from rich faux linen textured fabric, inner woven construction features natural blackout effect, definitely block out 85% or more sun light and prevent harmful UV ray, this opaque piece totally darken your room, reduce the noise and gives you 100% privacy
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: This magic window covering is perfect on thermal insulated, energy saving and balance the temperature. Efficiently prevents cold or heat transfer from outside, blocks drafts in cold months and keeps warm air out in the summer. Great for letting you sleep sweetly on weekend mornings and vacation days
Use Spray Foam
Spray foam is an excellent insulator but may also absorb sound. Closed-cell spray foam can effectively absorb noise, especially when you use it to fill small cracks and gaps. You can use spray foams on walls and floorboards.
A popular spray foam is the Loctite Tite Foam Insulating Sealant from Amazon.com, as it’s a closed-cell and has UV protection.
- EXPANDS TO FILL: Loctite TITE FOAM Gaps & Cracks fills, seals, and insulates effectively around gaps and cracks up to 1 inches in size
- SUPERIOR FLEXIBILITY: Withstands building and material movement without compromising its seal
- STRONG ADHESION: Sealant bonds to most building materials like wood, concrete, brick, stone, metal, pvc, and more
The best rugs for soundproofing are cut-pile rugs made with thick, plush material. Thick rugs contain a larger number of fibers that can trap sound.
However, if you don’t want to swap out your current rugs, you can use rug pads, place heavy furniture in your room, or use heavy draperies. These will still help keep sound in your room to a minimum.
- Forbes: Quiet, Please! How To Cut Noise Pollution At Home
- Informit: Interior Design: Renovate, Detonate or Techorate?
- New York Magazine: How to soundproof a room
- Rug Laundry: Do Rugs reduce sound?
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API