Are you thinking of recording new music at home or opening a recording studio? The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has helped a vast community of home-recordists, producers, and musicians to make many records globally. When using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, what’s the best mic to pair it with?
There is no particular mic that you can consider best to pair with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or any mixer, for that matter. You can use any quality microphone that uses an XLR plug to get the recording job done. Since Focusrite Scarlett has two inputs, you can use two different microphones.
From this article, you will learn more about Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, the mics you can use with it, and factors to consider before purchasing this equipment.
- 1 Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: Basic Overview
- 2 Mics That You Can Use With Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
- 3 What Other Items Will You Need When Using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
- 4 Why Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
- 5 Things to Consider When Purchasing a Mic for Your Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Recording Kit
- 6 Bottom Line
- 7 Sources
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: Basic Overview
At a glance, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a USB audio interface that you can run one or two XLR microphones on your computer by plugging them. If you are co-hosting a conversation locally or recording solo, this is an ideal option. Similarly, you can pair it with a recording tool online to capture remote conversations. You can use this equipment to record music or host a podcast.
Not only can you connect microphones, but you can also connect line-level audio signals and musical instruments to a computer, either Windows or Mac OS. By carefully going through the manufacturer’s user guide, you can discover the exceptional features Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has to offer and its possibilities.
When using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, you will require an audio interface, which is a piece of hardware that can be used to achieve more control over your recording setup. You can plug into your laptop or computer with two separate microphones through your USB port. That is an excellent option if you want to improve the quality of your audio, locally record audio with a co-host, or record podcasts and professional interviews.
Whether you’re a professional or beginner, you will enjoy its endearing qualities.
Mics That You Can Use With Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
While showcasing your podcast with a USB mic is an excellent way to get it off the ground, you can strive for a more quality studio setup. This is where you can consider moving towards an interface like Scarlett 2i2.
An exclusive microphone used in the Scarlett studio is Focusrite Scarlett Studio Pack w/CM25 Microphone that is usually smaller than what you will find in your usual budget microphone market. You don’t require to roll-off the pad or switch because you just plug-in and start playing.
With CM25, it creates a detailed recording of acoustic guitar and vocals that are well done, without a sharp kind of sound that you will often experience with cheaper microphones in the upper mids. Ensure you pick a quality microphone whose expectations will exceed those of a novice.
This way, you will rest assured that you have a useful piece of equipment even when you start thinking of an upgrade. Equally, you can use other large-diaphragm condenser microphones such as Rode NT1.
Check out my picklist for the Best Condenser Mics for Under $200.
What Other Items Will You Need When Using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a piece of recording equipment that cannot work on its own. Other equipment, other than the microphone CM25 large diaphragm condenser, you require headphones, a mic lead, Cubase, and software. Ensure that you have all the necessary hardware, including a pop shield and mic stand, to make full use of your setup. Use a pair of HP60 headphones and a 3m mic lead.
Check out how Logic Pro compares to Cubase here!
To take care of needs such as MIDI sequencing, use the lighter Cubase LE 6 version; there is more software inclusion in the form of plug-ins suite when using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. They cover gating, reverb, EQ, and compression, giving you a variety to choose from.
Why Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
This is an excellent recording kit, especially when you are looking to upgrade from a USB mic setup to XLR mics. Some of the pros you will encounter while using it are:
Portability and Lightness
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is small and light in nature; therefore, you can pack it as a mobile studio in your bag and record from a place of your choice. If you’re attending a conference or event where you need to conduct some interviews or hold one-on-one conversations, this is excellent equipment to do that. Pack it along with headphones, two XLR Cables, two microphones, a USB cable, and a laptop.
Check out my guide to the Best Boom Arms.
You will be able to start recording in no time by simply plugging in a USB device. Other than its small, light, and simplistic nature, it is free from faders and knobs that make mixers look complicated and intimidating for both novices and beginners. Setting up requires connecting to your laptop or computer via USB cable, then using your XLR cables, and connecting to the microphone’s interface.
When you want to record music, set up the recording software, and if you’re using Audacity, click the dropdown input menu and click on Scarlett 2i2 USB. If you want to record an online conversation, select it as your output, and input it in your choice call recording app.
Check out to see how the 1st gen vs the 2nd gen Scarlett 2i2 compare here!
Ability to Improve Audio Quality
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is an upgrade that can improve your audio quality when recording music or conducting an interview. You will hardly experience the sharp sound, unlike with cheaper options that can be irritating, especially when you’re doing an in-home recording.
Here is a video on how to set up Focusrite Scarlett 2i2:
With Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, you have the flexibility of using two microphones of your choice. This way, you can conduct an interview, co-host a podcast, record a duet, and hold conversations online. Similarly, when you want to upgrade microphones, you have the freedom to do so.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is affordable and goes for about 150 euros/160 dollars. Whether you’re a beginner, veteran, or novice who wants to improve your setup and gain more control over your recording, this will make an excellent investment.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Mic for Your Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Recording Kit
- What you want to record: Do you want to record music with or without an instrument, while playing an acoustic or electric instrument, or a speech?
- Purpose of what you will be recording: Decide if you want your microphone to appear in your recording or not. This could be a video recording or video stream for a vlog, audiobooks, solo podcasting, narration, or lecture recording.
- If you plan on making a crucial or palpable income from your recording: Some recordings can be work-related, for example, a meeting, a commercial vlog, theatrical film production, television or radio broadcast, or podcast. Consider if it is one of these, or self-improvement and fun-related exercise.
- The acoustic conditions of your recording: When purchasing a mic, consider if there will be any noise from activities in the neighborhood such as drilling walls, babies crying, dogs barking, or vehicles passing by. Equally, consider if there will be an echo and other reverberation from your house, studio and if the room is treated with acoustic foam panels or it is a portable studio.
- The amount you are willing to pay for the mic in your locality: Consider if you’re on a budget where in this case, a second-hand microphone would be okay or if you are willing to go all in and buy a new one that has a warranty and receipt. Consider if you’re catering for the expense solely, or if it will be partially reimbursed by the tax return, an employer, or customer and if it will give you value for money.
Check out the BEST ASMR MICROPHONES.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 offers flexibility with mics, has a simple setup, is light and portable, affordable, and can improve your audio quality.
Before purchasing a microphone, consider your budget, acoustic conditions, the kind of recording, its purpose, and if you will make money out of it.
Check out to see which is better between the Focusrite 2i2 vs. Behringer U PHORIA UMC404HD here!
- Quora: What is the Best Microphone to use with Focus rite Scarlett 2i2
- The Podcast Host: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Review: The Best Selling USB Audio Interface
- Focusrite: Scarlett 2i2 User Guide
- Music tech: Focusrite Scarlett Studio Review
- Head-Fi: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface
- Wikipedia: Steinberg Cubase