A good microphone for vocals and instruments is essential for any musician. While there are tons of good microphones out there, the microphones by Blue are considered one of the best in the industry, especially among mid-range options. But are they good for recording music, and if so, how good?
Blue Snowballs are great for recording music because of their superior build quality and sound. They’re comparatively cost-effective and great for people who’ve just started making music or are building their careers. These microphones are especially perfect for people on the go.
Keep reading to learn more about Blue Snowballs and whether or not they’re good for recording music.
- 1 Blue Snowballs Are Good for Recording Music
- 2 Excellent Recording Performance for the Price
- 3 Blue Snowballs Aren’t the Best for Studio Recording
- 4 Recording Quality of a Blue Snowball Can Be Easily Improved
- 5 Consider Using a Microphone Isolation Shield
- 6 Final Thoughts
- 7 Sources
Blue Snowballs Are Good for Recording Music
One of the many factors that make a microphone stand out is its design and build quality. The Blue Snowball is tough to miss because of its unique design that no other well-known brand uses.
The Blue Snowball is a ball-shaped microphone mounted on top of a tripod. The microphone itself is about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter, and the tripod base can go up to 6.5 inches (16.5 cm). It’s essentially a table-top microphone, but it can also be mounted on any standard microphone mount.
The Blue Snowball Is Made From High-Quality Plastic
A Mini USB B-type cable connects the Snowball to your computer. Although the Blue Snowball is made of plastic, the plastic body is high-quality and thus, making it perfect for capturing sound without any difficulty. If you don’t mind buying a microphone made of plastic, the Blue Snowball is worth considering!
Blue Snowballs Have Two Mic Capsules
These microphones have two capsules that are present behind the wire mesh grill. The capsules provide sonic flexibility to the microphone and are usually present in high-quality microphones for stereo sound. However, Snowball uses these capsules for monophonic recording.
You Can Use Blue Snowballs for Recording on the Go
Apart from audio quality, the Blue Snowball is handy for recording music on the go. Its spherical structure is easy to carry, and the hard plastic is durable enough to protect the microphone from damage. If you like carrying your recording equipment, then the Blue Snowball is a convenient device.
For more information, check out how to reduce background noise on a Blue Snowball mic.
Excellent Recording Performance for the Price
Bear in mind when considering the Blue Snowball is the price. It’s not an expensive microphone. You can’t expect studio-like quality recording from it even though the company claims on its website that you can “record studio vocals, instruments, podcasts, and more.”
Despite its low price, the Blue Snowball is still a piece of excellent equipment for recording music.
Three Different Sound Capturing Modes
There are three types of recording modes on the Blue Snowball – Cardioid, Omni, and Cardioid with -10db – which can be switched with the simple slider present at the back of the microphone. The following explains them in more detail:
- Cardioid: The cardioid captures everything in front of it while blocking the rest. It’s perfect for podcasters and YouTubers who need to speak directly into the microphone. This type of microphone is also great for live streaming and other situations where you need to reduce the ambient noise.
- Omni: The Omni is the short form for Omnidirectional, which means from all directions. Therefore, this mode is perfect for live performances where multiple instruments are used in the room.
- Cardioid with -10db: This is a reduced form of the cardioid. It’s perfect for loud music like Rock and Roll, heavy metal, or music that involves a lot of screaming. The reduced sensitivity captures the best possible sound.
Blue Snowballs Aren’t the Best for Studio Recording
There’s no doubt that the Blue Snowball is an excellent option for those who want to record music without breaking the bank. However, you need to be clear about how to use the Blue Snowball.
The microphone is excellent for close-range sounds and is better than your laptop’s in-built microphone or even some low and mid-range microphones. But when it comes to studio recording, this microphone might not always be your best option.
One area where the microphone feels underwhelming is capturing realistic sounds such as those present in nature. Even though it has an Omnichannel, this equipment isn’t great for group vocals or multiple people singing.
Recording Quality of a Blue Snowball Can Be Easily Improved
If you feel that the Snowball isn’t up to the mark and not giving you a studio-like performance, you can quickly fix it in a way that suits your needs. Below are some recommendations on how you can improve your Blue Snowball microphone’s recording quality:
Install Free Software Like VoiceMeeter
The Blue Snowball is compatible with most recording software in the market. So, you can easily use one of the free audio software to enhance your sound quality and make it studio-like.
Two of the best software in the market are VoiceMeeter and Audacity. The YouTube video below is an excellent guide to how you can use both these free software in tandem to enhance the quality of your Blue Snowball:
Use Pop Filters
Pop filters are handy devices that go over the microphone and reduce plosives or sounds such as p and b. In other words, a pop filter reduces the amount of air going inside your microphone. Since the Snowball is not a condenser mic, pop filters can be beneficial.
Here are some great options available on Amazon.com:
- ARISEN Mic Pop Filter: The ARISEN mic pop filter has a double layer of metal mesh that effectively eliminates plosives along with other unwanted noises to give you a clean sound. This pop filter has been built for the Blue Yeti and other microphones to reduce noise, so using it with your Snowball should not be a problem at all.
- CLEARER SOUND: The Arisen mic pop filter is made of a double layer of metal material, which protects the microphone filter from corrosion by saliva and other steam. Besides, the inseparably close double-layer of the metal pop filter can more effectively eliminate "p" "b" and the hissing of the letter "S" to achieve the perfect sound quality optimization effect.
- 360° ADJUSTABLE GOOSENECK of pop screen：The gooseneck tube of the Pop Filter is sufficient to support the weight of the metal blue yeti pop filter and hold it securely in place. And you can allow adjusting the angle and distance between the pop filter for microphones and the microphone by changing the angle of the gooseneck tube, which filtering noise or burst sound at the angle that works best for you.
- DOUBLE METAL MESH of POP FILTERS: Sometimes, you will find the filtering effect is not apparent by using a single layer pop filter metal to filtering out the noise. But here, Arisen mic windscreen does something that other brands on the market are having a hard time doing, that's the Arisen upgraded versions pop filter that filter out noise while maintaining natural sound quality, resulting in high-quality sound.
- LILALIWA Microphone Pop Filter for Blue Yeti. The LILALIWA pop filter is also designed for the Blue Yeti. This pop filter uses a double mesh to protect the microphone from dust and saliva, improving its longevity. You can use this filter on various microphones and in various positions. It’s perfect for singers, streamers, and podcasters.
- 【Double Layer Pop Filter】- LILALIWA pop filter for microphones features double layers of nylon mesh, which can efficiently reduce plosives, wind interference and saliva spraying during recording or broadcasting, and help users get a clear and loud sound.
- 【Clearer Sound】- Banish the dreaded hissing and lisping sounds that come along with pronouncing the letter "S" and blocks those ugly "plosives" that follow the sounds of "B" and "P".
- 【Adjustable Gooseneck】- The pop mesh shield has a flexible 360° gooseneck clip stabilizing arm that can support its own weight and is strong enough to hold the microphone stand.
Consider Using a Microphone Isolation Shield
Microphone Isolation Shield is a piece of equipment that protects the microphone from capturing unwanted noise like echoes and reverberations. This equipment is beneficial in a closed environment where sound can easily bounce off the wall and enter the microphone. It’s made with acoustic foam fixed on a piece of metal or wood.
However, keep in mind that isolation shields are suitable for close-range recordings. So, they’re good for vocals and instruments that play close to the microphone.
Here are some great choices on Amazon.com:
- TONOR Microphone Isolation Shield: The Tonor is the perfect isolation shield for anyone looking for a budget-friendly option with great value. It’s 1.7 inches (4.3 cm) thick, and the spike foam absorbs more echoes and sound than flat foam. This product is durable and lightweight, as well, so traveling with it is easy.
- Eliminate Interference: Sharp 1.7 inch thick high density foam for the best noise reflection reduction. ( Dimensions: 8.3in tall and 13in wide. )
- Flexibility & Convenience: The three panel design features two foldable end panels to allow for angle adjustments, giving you optimal insolation. Compact design, lightweight construction as well as foldability allow you to carry it easily and take along wherever you go.
- Durability: Constructed out of premium steel with high-quality screws to ensure sturdiness, and long lasting performance.
- ZOSTA Studio Recording Microphone Isolation Shield: This isolation shield has five panels covering the front and most sides for maximum results. Its foam insulation is high density and can reduce sound reflections with ease. The package also includes a mic pop that adds an extra layer of filter to your recordings.
- 🎵【PACKAGE INCLUDED】:Studio Recording Microphone Isolation Shield x 1, Pop Filter x 1, Desktop Tripod Stand x 1, Storage Bag x 1, accessories and instruction manual. (NOTE: Click the video to see how to install).
- 🎤【ELIMINATE INTERFERENCE】:The inner side of ZOSTA microphone shield is made of high density absorbing foam insulation that can reduce sound reflections and diffuse sound waves when recording.You can get the studio recording effect easily.
- 🎸【FOLDABLE & PORTABLE & DURABLE】:Our mic shield consists of five panels and has two foldable end panels to allow for angle adjustments. Compact design and lightweight contraction allows you to take it along wherever you go.Outside reflection filter is composed of premium steel and is also equipped with high quality screws to ensure that it is tough and sturdy.
The Blue Snowball is far better than the average microphone on the market. In terms of recording, the Blue Snowball does an excellent job. It has three different modes that capture omnidirectional and unidirectional sounds. As per user reviews, the Blue Snowball is better at recording single vocals and instruments than as a group.
Despite its limited functionality, the Blue Snowball is an excellent option if you’re looking for something inexpensive that you wish to use on the go.
For more information, check out which is better: Blue Snowball vs. Razer Seiren Mini.
- CNET: Blue Microphones Snowball Professional USB Microphone review
- IGN: Blue Snowball Microphone Review
- OldTimeMusic: Blue Snowball iCE Review
- PCMag: Blue Snowball Ice Review
- Recordinghacks: Blue Snowball – The Tape Op Review
- VB-Audio Software: VOICEMEETER Virtual Audio Mixer
- Audacity: Download
Last update on 2021-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API